Removing "self" as a keyword in python-mode

From: Evan Klitzke
Subject: Removing "self" as a keyword in python-mode
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 00:25:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm trying to learn the ways of Emacs and it's coming along nicely. At
this point though there's one thing that really bothers me: the string
"self" is highlighted as a keyword in Python files. For some reason
I'm not finding myself to get over this quirk ("self" isn't a
keyword!).

Using Emacs' help routines I've gotten as far as determining that the
function that I should be using to fix this is font-lock-remove-
keywords. But I haven't figured out how to get this working correctly,
despite many invocations with slightly different forms.

More information: I'm using a copy of Emacs I pulled from CVS about a
week ago, version number is 23.0.91.2. If I open up a buffer in Python
mode and then describe the font-lock-keywords variable I get this:
http://paste.pocoo.org/show/109673/ . From this it looks to me that
"self" is being highlighted as both a constant and a keyword.

Thanks.