Emacs on WinXP and Italian keyboard

From: Andrea Taverna
Subject: Emacs on WinXP and Italian keyboard
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:57:35 +0100

Hello everyone,

I've installed Emacs w32 port on my windows box and I've got the following
problem.
My keyboard has an Italian-105-keys layout and no '~' character on it. Under X I type AltGr+ì to get the character but on windows I need to enter the ASCII sequence as (IIRC) Alt+126. Problem is that Alt is already caught by Emacs as meta character.

How can I fix the problem? It would be nice if I could set the X layout on
WinXP.

Do you know other advices for using Emacs on WinXP?

thanks in advance,

Andrea Taverna