Re: C-s and delete under Windows

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: C-s and delete under Windows
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 12:07:59 -0600

Ulrich Scholz wrote:
Hi, under Linux, deleting while searching (C-s, type something, and
then press delete) removes letters from the search string and
continues to search.  Under Windows, the behavior is different: it
ends the search and deletes characters from my file.

How can I implement the Linux behavior under Windows?

Maybe the problem is my .emacs on Windows. I use the following:

(global-set-key [backspace] 'backward-delete-char-untabify)

That might be the culprit. Do your delete and backspace keys work the same? Are they bound to same function? I think that backspace should remove the last character from the isearch string and leave you in the search routine. Delete should erase character right after instance of seach string at cursor and break out of search. At least that's how my Emacs (nt5.0) has always worked. If you just want to use C-s or C-r for cursor movement you can do C-space at any point to break out of isearch.