Backup remote files to local host

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Backup remote files to local host
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 18:54:24 -0700

I want to put backups of files I edit via Tramp on my local machine, rather than on the remote one, since I expect this to be a bit faster.

It seems to be non-trivial. I did (setq tramp-backup-directory-alist backup-directory-alist), but this still places the backups on the remote host. According to the docs:

"If a Tramp file is backed up, and DIRECTORY is a local file name, the backup directory is prepended with Tramp file name prefix (method, user, host) of file."

i.e. it won't do what I want. I suppose I could set myself up for password-less sudo and prepend the cdrs of backup-directory-alist with "/sudo:ieure@localhost:", but this seems like an extremely

How can I get the desired behavior?

 - Ian