Re: copying and pasting in emacs

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: copying and pasting in emacs
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 16:43:11 -0500

Peter Finn wrote:
At Sun, 5 Apr 2009 07:17:02 -0700 (PDT),
luca pamparana wrote:
Hello,

I am unable to figure out how to select and copy text as you would do
in another editors:

For example, one thing I normally need to do is select from the
current position upto the next few words. Normally, I just press shift
+ ctrl and the left or right arrow key and the editor would highlight
one word at a time. I have so far been unable to figure out how to
highlight text in emacs using the keyboard.

Anyone knows how I can do it esp. highlighting one word, line etc. at
a time.

Many thanks,

Luca

If you want behavior similar to other editors you might want to try
turning on CUA mode (M-x cua-mode <RET>) which will give you exactly the
selection behavior you want (using <SHIFT> in combination with <ARROW>);
as well as key-bindings for the copying, cutting, and pasting of text
similar to other editors you may be familiar with.

CUA mode can be enabled permanently through Emacs' customization
facility by typing: M-x customize-variable <RET> cua-mode <RET> and
setting is value to ON, and saving your changes.

Peter

And if you want the basic pc selection keys but want to leave Emacs undisturbed for everything else then do this:

Menu>Customize Emacs>Specific Group....
pc-select
Then turn on 1, 2, and 5 (Override Scroll Error, Pc Selection Keys Only, and Pc Selection Mode)
Save for future sessions

This will save the settings in your .emacs. This way the setup will encourage or at least allow you to learn C-space, C-w, M-w, C-y, M-y, and Emacs standard cursor movement keys.

Ed