Setting different default face for different major-modes ?

From: rplasson
Subject: Setting different default face for different major-modes ?
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 08:09:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

do you think it is possible to configure emacs so that a specific
default face is used in specific major modes.

If you are wondering why I would like to do so, here is the reason. It
came to me when I started to try the future version emacs23, and
especially its ability to work with ttf fonts. I am mainly using emacs
for composing LaTeX documents. Something very beautiful can be
obtained by setting the default font to LMRoman10 (a ttf font that
looks like the default LaTeX fonts), and use AucTex with preview mode
+  fold mode: you are editing LaTeX with an almost WYSIWYG feeling,
while it is still 100% emacs. The only problem is that if it is really
nice to obtain LaTex font for the text you are typing in a LaTeX
document, it would be better to have some more regular fonts in non
LaTex buffers (I didn't try yet to code some C++ with LaTeX font...
but I thing I will switch back quickly when I will have to :-) ).

Thus my question. And actually, it may be interesting (?) to be able
to define slightly different default face to different kind of buffers
(different shades of backgrounds, for example, depending on what kind
of buffer you are in). So what do you think ? Possible or not ?

Thank you,

Raphaƫl