Re: How to prevent window splitting when opening multiple files on comma

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: How to prevent window splitting when opening multiple files on command line
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:09:16 +0300

On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 12:14:02 -0700, Kristi Tsukida <kristi.tsukida@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering how to prevent emacs from splitting the window
> when opening multiple files on the command line.  For example, running
> "emacs file1 file2" opens emacs with a split window showing file1 and
> file2.  I want to just see file1.  Thanks in advance.

If I am reading the code of the `command-line-1' function correctly,
then this is not currently possible.  This function runs:

  (if (= file-count 1)
      (setq first-file-buffer (find-file file))
    (find-file-other-window file)))

so if there are multiple filename arguments it will unconditionally call
`find-file-other-window'.