gdb on a new frame

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: gdb on a new frame
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 19:54:40 +1200

 > Hello. I'm using a self-defined gdb function to run it on a new frame
 > as follows:
 >
 > (defun my-debug-test ()
 >   "Debug the test program, unittest, in a new frame"
 >   (interactive)
 >   (select-frame-set-input-focus (make-frame))
 >   (cd proj-test)

    (cd "proj-test") ?

 >   (gdb (concat "gdb -annotate 3 unittest")))

    (gdb "gdb -annotate=3 unittest")) ?

 > It works well on a new frame. But when I use the call stack, sometimes
 > it tries to find the corresponding source file in the old frame, so I
 > should move to there... annoying... I want to limit source navigation
 > in gdb into the new created frame itself. How can I do this kind of
 > thing?

If the source is already visible in a buffer in another frame, the current
execution line will display there.  Some people deliberately arrange to have
the source in a different frame to the GUD buffer.  How could Emacs know where
you want to display the source?  There probably should be more continuity i.e
the source shouldn't change buffers but, at the moment, the only way to get it
to display where you want is to kill the buffer displaying the source in the
other frame first.