Re: gdb on a new frame

From: Kiwon Um
Subject: Re: gdb on a new frame
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 03:56:31 -0700 (PDT)

On 4월16일, 오후4시54분, nick...@snap.net.nz (Nick Roberts) wrote:
>  > Hello. I'm using a self-defined gdb function to run it on a new frame
>  > as follows:
>  >
>  > (defun my-debug-test ()
>  >   "Debug the test program, unittest, in a new frame"
>  >   (interactive)
>  >   (select-frame-set-input-focus (make-frame))
>  >   (cd proj-test)
>
>     (cd "proj-test") ?
>
>  >   (gdb (concat "gdb -annotate 3 unittest")))
>
>     (gdb "gdb -annotate=3 unittest")) ?
>
>  > It works well on a new frame. But when I use the call stack, sometimes
>  > it tries to find the corresponding source file in the old frame, so I
>  > should move to there... annoying... I want to limit source navigation
>  > in gdb into the new created frame itself. How can I do this kind of
>  > thing?
>
> If the source is already visible in a buffer in another frame, the current
> execution line will display there.  Some people deliberately arrange to have
> the source in a different frame to the GUD buffer.  How could Emacs know where
> you want to display the source?  There probably should be more continuity i.e
> the source shouldn't change buffers but, at the moment, the only way to get it
> to display where you want is to kill the buffer displaying the source in the
> other frame first.
>
> --
> Nick                                          http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

Thanks for your reply.

The previous codes are my concrete function, so you don't need to care
about such variable, proj-test. One thing I'm wondering is that even
though it is NOT the currently shown source file in the first frame,
the gdb sometimes uses that frame to show the execution line.
Unfortunately, I couldn't catch the rule when the gdb jumped to there.

I might need to test more about this.
Thanks, again.