Re: Gnus not working in Emacs-Snapshot

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Gnus not working in Emacs-Snapshot
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:40:34 +0200

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>>> Gnus is not working in that version. Is this a known problem?
>>
>> Not that I know of.  Another problem might be that you have some
>> byte-compiled gnus related files, that were compiled with on older emacs
>> version.
>
> Thanks Tassilo. I found the problem in the meantime. It's a
> Debian-related problem. Here ist the bug report:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnus/+bug/293711
>
> Gnus is working fine if one uninstalls Debian's gnus package and uses
> the build-in version coming with emacs-snapshot.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Sven

Did you consider cvs version? No problem with emacs 23 gnus that comes
from cvs with emacs.

sidenote : I got frustrated with the debian "mess" and totally removed
emacs from debian (ubuntu is based on debian) and now just use cvs emacs
and manually downloaded anything else I needed. Whenever I had an issue
with Debian emacs and asked in #emacs irc, people would run a mile. It's
a lot nicer to have this "self contained" emacs environment than having
to figure out how or what Debian is doing.