Re: Is JDEE moribund? Is Emacs a viable Java devel environment?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Is JDEE moribund? Is Emacs a viable Java devel environment?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 10:05:55 +0200

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> CEDET uses another approach.  It has it's own parsers and analyzers
>> which enable it to do smart autocompletion and other intelligent stuff.
>> This works quite well for C/C++, because Eric has put a lot of effort
>> into it, and I highly appreciate that.
>
> Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but I thought that CEDET is written
> so that it can use external parsers etc.

Yes. CEDET has a very flexible API which allows to integrate almost any
external parsing engine.

http://cedet.sourceforge.net/addtool.shtml

It seems there actually is a Java grammar in CEDET, but apparently most
of the database stuff is not implemented, which is why it currently only
does local completion. I remember Joakim Verona doing some stuff on Java
support in CEDET, using Clojure.

> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> The eclim approach is very different.  Here an headless eclipse instance
>> runs as a server in the background.  Vim does no intelligent source code
>> analysis, instead it sends only a plain text command to eclipse like:
>>
>>   I'm in project Foo in file src/bar/Baz.java on position 18271 and now
>>   I executed the completion command.  Gimme the completion list,
>>   please.

You can surely interface CEDET with this. I guess the information from
eclim can be used in CEDET as a so called "omniscient database". For an
example, have a look at semanticdb-global.el, which implements the GNU
Global support for CEDET. The file semanticdb-skel.el has some
commentary on which functions have to be implemented. For more
information, just ask on the CEDET mailing list.

-David