Re[1]: An Eclim frontend for Emacs (was: Is JDEE moribund? Is Emacs a vi

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[1]: An Eclim frontend for Emacs (was: Is JDEE moribund? Is Emacs a viable Java devel environment?)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 10:30:52 -0400

>>> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> seems to think that:
>On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> wrote:
>> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Hi Lennart,

>>> Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but I thought that CEDET is written
>>> so that it can use external parsers etc.
>>
>> No, AFAIK CEDET uses it's own wisent parser generator and its own
>> grammars.  And even if you get the syntax tree out of that parser, it's
>> a long way to do something sophisticated with it.
>
>As I understand it CEDET has it's own wisent parser, but it can use
>other parsers too. (I am cc:ing Eric so he can inform us.)
  [ ... ]

CEDET does support many kinds of parsers.  It has two internal
parsers, one of which is wisent.  It has two regexp based parsers for
non-regular files like HTML.  It also uses exuberent ctags to parse
about 10 other langauges (in CVS).

If there is some external program that can it run and parse files, then
CEDET can use it.

It is also not just parsers.  If eclim has a tag database, it can use
that too, as the database backend is completely flexible.  It already
supports GNU Global and a couple other things.

I'd be happy to help someone do an integration with an external parser
if desired.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                       eric@siege-engine.com