Re: python setup ?

From: Barry Warsaw
Subject: Re: python setup ?
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:24:46 -0400

On Apr 30, 2009, at 3:25 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:

With python-mode.el, people may have good reasons, to
use it as it is - and me to leave it as it is.  Thats
fine with bazaar and other DVCs, we can do that. My
branch doesn't hamper the origin and any further branch
will not. Its just freedom to try and see.

This is true, and experimentation a good thing in the short term. In the long term though, a proliferation of branches just confuses people because no one's sure which is the official branch. Our lives are more difficult too because of the python-mode.el/python.el split.

So I encourage you to experiment and get user feedback. Old-timers (and remember, python-mode.el's been in widespread use for 15 years) will be wedded to their muscle memory, but if you introduce a user- visible change that people like, they can be made configurable with defaults providing the old behavior. Then it will be possible to merge your changes back into the official branch. If you modularize your changes, then the less controversial ones can get merged in sooner.

-Barry