Re: Fixing a window in place

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Fixing a window in place
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:47:51 -0600

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

Hi

Is there any way of making a particular window persistent? I have an erc
window which obviously disappears when I do other things and I'd like to
keep a small window at the bottom of the screen so I can keep an eye on
it. Is there a function or hack to do this?

You can store the window configuration in a register, and jump back to it.

But if you want to keep an eye on it, the best is to open another
frame, if you're using a window manager.

C-x 5 2    to create a new frame
C-x 5 o    to switch from one frame to the other.

Also, frob special-display-buffer-names.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA