RE: Is it possible to prevent emacs auto saving the filename~?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Is it possible to prevent emacs auto saving the filename~?
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 12:24:31 -0700

> emacs allows to place the backup files in one single directory.

Another tip: You can easily get rid of backup files in the current directory,
using Dired's `~' command. IOW, if you don't want to use a separate directory,
any temporary clutter can be removed using `~'.

FWIW, that's what I do: I let Emacs create and keep backup files while I
working, and when I'm done with a task and want to clean things up, I hit `~'.