Re: launching external program with (buffer filename as parameter)

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: launching external program with (buffer filename as parameter)
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 23:13:34 +0800

ex <exeQtor@gmail.com> writes:

> with this simple schema I could run my perl, python, ruby, etc scripts
> just changing the program name, i.e:
>   ruby my/ruby/script/path
> It's very simple and convenient, I'm even able to send by email the
> current document using perl (forgive please!)
> perl_mailing_script [document_path]
>
> Of course I now have a python-mode with lots of things to play, and it
> could be easy just use that, but I think in order to really learn
> emacs I need to know how to emulate the above steps.
> The other problem is that with ruby the mode-compile uses lots of code
> to do just 3 simple steps (and is annoying me with the arguments
> question), this is my .emacs:

Is the "arguments question" asking you to confirm the compile command?
If that is the case, you may try buffer-action.el[1] -- "Perform
actions(compile/run, etc) in buffer based on mode/filename".  It will
only bother you the first time launching it.  (And you can edit it again
with C-u prefix) And it's small, just 254 lines...

[1], http://xwl.appspot.com/ref/buffer-action.el

--
William

http://xwl.appspot.com