Re: Loss of auctex functionality

From: Anselm Helbig
Subject: Re: Loss of auctex functionality
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 20:42:40 +0200

Hi!

>     > Until I messed up my site-lisp directory, I
>     > conveniently had a LaTeX drop down menu within
>     > emacs. I didn't really use it that much it did
>     > provide me a list of keystrokes that were useful
>     > when working with a latex document. Now only a TeX
>     > drop down menu appears. I used to be able to run
>     > C-c C-c and then type LaTeX to compile my document.
>     > Now when I do this I am taken to a windows that
>     > looks exactly like my terminal instead of LaTeXing
>     > my document automatically. Other AucTex commands
>     > don't seem to work well either.
>     >
>     > C-c C-e should allow me to insert an environment
>     > but all it does it end the environment I am in
>     > whereas previously I call insert a new environment
>     > of my choice.
>     >
>     > My /usr/share/emacs/22.2/site-lisp directory is
>     > empty through a silly move by yours truly. I am
>     > using Ubuntu 9.04.
>
>     Looks like you're not using auctex at all but the built-in
>     tex-mode. Why don't you just reinstall the auctex-package via the
>     package manager?
>
> Thanks Anselm. I tried this earlier but it did not seem to fix the
> problem. Indeed it does seem like emacs is not detecting auctex at
> all. Not sure how to proceed.

Is your site-lisp directory still empty? Did you get any error
messages when you tried to reinstall auctex? What does

  M-x find-library<RET>auctex<RET>

do? What's the value of the load-path variable (C-h v load-path<RET>)?

I'm on Ubuntu 9.04 myself, using the emacs-snapshot package. The elisp
files from auctex are installed in

  /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex

on my machine, with byte-compiled versions in

  /usr/share/emacs/23.0.91/site-lisp/auctex

Have you compiled emacs or did you use a Ubuntu package?

The way it should work is that a debianized Emacs reads all files in
/etc/emacs/site-start.d and /etc/<emacs-flavor>/site-start.d. The
packages drop their initialization code here. I've got

  /etc/emacs-snapshot/site-start.d/50auctex.el

and you should have

  /etc/emacs22/site-start.d/50auctex.el

Is this file present? What happens if you load it with M-x load-file?
If you really like to know how packaging emacs extensions works on
Debian you should read this:

  http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/debian-emacs-policy

You might be interested in the part where it speaks about the
/usr/lib/emacsen-common/emacs-package-install script (written in the
perfect emacs rewrite language, btw).

Kind regards,

Anselm

--