Customising the menu for python-mode

From: Chris Withers
Subject: Customising the menu for python-mode
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 17:55:17 +0100

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

Nikolaj Schumacher wrote:
Chris Withers <chris@simplistix.co.uk> wrote:

- the comment/uncomment menu items on the python menu have vanished. How do I
get these back?
You can be defining your own menu, but maybe you just want to start
using the universal comment commands, e.g. comment-or-uncomment-region.
I should have known this was possible really ;-)

Where can I find out how to do this?

I don't use the menus, only keys, so I can't do it for you.

Check out the Emacs manual
- 22.17.1.2 Extended Menu Items

Fat lot of good that did me ;-)

I tried monkey-see-monkey-do-ing from python.el and so far have this in my .emacs file:

;; menu items
(defvar chris-mode-map
  (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
    (easy-menu-define python-menu map "Python Mode menu"
      `("Python"
        :help "Python-specific Features"
        "-"
        ["Comment" python-shift-left :active mark-active
         :help "Comment"]
        ["Uncomment" python-shift-right :active mark-active
         :help "Uncomment"]))
    map))

Which, while it doesn't error, also does nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk