recenter behavior

From: Jon V
Subject: recenter behavior
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 22:25:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I am using Emacs 22.1.1 on Linux, and I have a complaint regarding shell mode
(or, it seems, any other interactive mode, like inferior-lisp).  With previous
versions of Emacs, I got used to using recenter to keep shell output at
eye-level, and also to make it clear where output began.  If you did a 0 C-L
before issuing a shell command, then all you'd see on your screen would be
command and its output (or less, if it scrolled off the screen, but the point
is, you wouldn't see anything more).

With this version, when I do a C-L, it recenters the screen as expected, but
after I type the command and hit enter, the text shifts so that the cursor is
at the bottom of the screen, followed by the bouncing that accompanies
scrolling past the bottom of the screen.  (This is, assuming that there is more
than a screenful of history in the buffer.)

I'm not sure if this is a bug; it seems like it would have been done
intentionally, though I'm not sure why.  Is there any way to get the old
behavior back?

Thanks very much,
John