Re: Fast emacs?

From: kj
Subject: Re: Fast emacs?
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 02:51:24 +0000 (UTC)

In <7a909198-c1e9-4ac1-aa69-94ba302deadc@u9g2000pre.googlegroups.com> Jason
Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> writes:

>On May 18, 5:05=A0am, kj <so...@987jk.com.invalid> wrote:
>> =A0The problem is that I have a big
>> .emacs file and a big Emacs desktop, which means that my Emacs takes
>> forever to start. =A0This is fine most of the time, but occasionally
>> I want a fast-starting emacs session (e.g. when I run "sudo emacs"
>> to edit a superuser-owned config file), and it's infuriating to
>> wait for emacs to go through a lengthy and useless song-and-dance...

>emacs -Q

I've gotten some very useful ideas in this thread (thanks Anselm,
Michael, and Giorgios), but this one actually blew me away.  In
all my years using emacs (decades really) I never knew of this
command-line switch.  In fact, after rummaging through the man page
and the emacs docs, I was not able to find it.  But it works like
gangbusters.  Thanks!

kynn