Re: Fast emacs?

From: Jean Magnan de Bornier
Subject: Re: Fast emacs?
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 12:04:42 +0200

"Dirk-Jan C. Binnema" <djcb.bulk@gmail.com> wrote :

| > > Note that using the emacsclient is no solution, because this requires
| > > that a version of Emacs be already running, which often defeats
| > > the purpose (not only do I have to wait another eternity for this
| > > new Emacs session to start, but then I have to start the server in
| > > the new session).
>
| Well, maybe you'd need to take another look at emacs --daemon ;-) I have
| run it when my (X) *session* starts (no need for tricks to put it in
| system startup scripts). Emacs starts within a cpl of seconds (1000 line
| .emacs).
>
| Then for the rest of the day I use emacsclient -c; lightning fast.
>
| With emacs --daemon all the trimming, autoloading etc becomes much less
| important.

Hi all,

emacs --daemon is really great!

However I wonder what's the best place to write the command; I'm running a
linux box with xorg started by "startx".
A first try was to write "emacs --daemon" in ~/.xsession, but then if I
leave my x session and enter another one, it aks a new emacs start and
that causes trouble.
I have then written "emacs --daemon" in my ~/.zshenv, and it starts all
right, but then opening a zsh shell also make it attempt to start the
daemon again!

I probably miss something very straightforward!

Thanks for any help,
--
Jean