Re: Yanking regular expression to regular expression search minibuffer

From: glen . d . scott
Subject: Re: Yanking regular expression to regular expression search minibuffer or to regular expression search / replace minibuffer
Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 13:24:37 -0700 (PDT)

On May 22, 5:53 am, Michael Heerdegen <ab...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> I think M-e is what you are looking for.

   Thank you Michael! You're right!

   When typing into the minibuffer for a regular expression search,
hitting M-e goes into an edit mode for the minibuffer where you can
use commands such as C-y to yank regular expressions (or anything
else).

   About my question on how to yank a regular expression into the
search / replace minibuffer, silly me! I missed the fact that the
minibuffer for search / replace directly allows one to use C-y to do a
yank. Once you've done the C-y, it is possible to use M-y to cycle
back through the kill ring (just like regular editing in a standard
buffer). No wonder emacs was giving me the "Previous command was not a
yank" error when trying to directly start with an M-y!!!