Re: emacs slowly displaying files

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: emacs slowly displaying files
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 16:46:51 +0200

mzp <mzp3769@yahoo.com> writes:

Hi Mark,

> when I open a file with e.g. emacs -nw .cshrc it does not display the
> file but comes with message "Welcome to Gnu Emacs ..." etc
> message. The file only shows when I do C-l or without prompting after
> a minute or so. It's not a big deal but a bit annoying.

I think this will do the trick:

  (setq inhibit-startup-screen t)

> What to do to have it show the file without extra prompts from the
> buffer?

Generally I'd say the best way in using emacs is starting it as usual,
then firing up the server (M-x server-start) and then using "emacsclient
<file>" to open a file from a shell or file manager.

,----[ (info "(emacs)Emacs Server") ]
|    You can solve this problem by setting up Emacs as an "edit server",
| so that it "listens" for external edit requests and acts accordingly.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo