Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows

From: Chris Withers
Subject: Re: remote file editing over ssh with emacs 22.3.1 on Windows
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:50:51 +0100

Tim X wrote:
1. You use tramp to edit files remotely as a normal user

Onec Emacs 23 becomes stable, I hope to, yes.

2. sometimes, you need to edit a remote file that requires root privs.

often, not sometimes, but also not always.

3. You cannot ssh to the remote host as root

correct.

There are two possible solutions I can think of. The first is a type of
tramp multi-hop connection method. i.e. from the manual

   Opening `/sudo:randomhost.your.domain:' would connect first
`randomhost.your.domain' via `ssh' under your account name,

What is "my account name"? How do I use a different name?

For this to work, you would need to have sudo configured on the remote
host.

sudo is how I become root ;-) (I don't like knowing root passwords...)

The second method involves taking advantage of X11. The remote servers
don't need full X11 support for this to work, though some X11 libs are
required. For an X11 connection, a lot depends on how you are
connected. Its ideal for a LAN, works OK for reasonably fast WANs, such
as DSL and can work over modem dialup at 56k (though in that case, you
would want to use one of the X11 compression protocols). For this method
to work, you enable X11 forwarding in the ssh configuration (see the ssh
manual). This option is often enabled by default on Linux systems.

Does this work when emacs is running on a Windows XP box?

However, a question I have to ask is how often do you really need to
edit files as root?

As root? Quite often. As a user other than the user I log in with? Almost always.

amount of analysis, we found that we were able to reconfigure things so
that over 90% of what I needed to do could be done without root
access. Maybe you could do something similar?

I'm not in a position where I can tell my customers what to do ;-)

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk