Emacs Telling You the Kind of the Variable Under the Cursor?

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: Emacs Telling You the Kind of the Variable Under the Cursor?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 15:03:10 +0200

Dear All,
The email title almost says it all.
I read in a slashdot post that you can configure Emacs so that it will tell you/display somewhere (there were no details in that post) the type of the variable under the cursor. This sounds handy, but I have no idea how to activate this feature (given but not granted that it exists really).
Any hints?
Cheers

Lorenzo