Re: Emacs Telling You the Kind of the Variable Under the Cursor?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Emacs Telling You the Kind of the Variable Under the Cursor?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 08:24:23 -0500

Lorenzo Isella wrote:
Dear All,
The email title almost says it all.
I read in a slashdot post that you can configure Emacs so that it will tell you/display somewhere (there were no details in that post) the type of the variable under the cursor. This sounds handy, but I have no idea how to activate this feature (given but not granted that it exists really).
Any hints?
Cheers

Lorenzo

If you have access to an emacs installation you could evaluate the following forms in *scratch*:

(setq p 1.1)
(type-of p)

The second yields "float" in the minibuffer. So the capability is there. It's just a matter doing some lisp progamming.

Ed