Re: In emacs, gdb says "cannot open shared object file"

From: Mihai Vasilian
Subject: Re: In emacs, gdb says "cannot open shared object file"
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:13:12 +0200

2009/6/1 Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
 > I get the following error message:
 > Starting program: /mnt/sda5/Programming/prg/src/prg
 > /mnt/sda5/Programming/prg/src/prg: error while loading shared libraries:
 > libmisc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

It doesn't sound like in Emacs problem.  Does

ldd /mnt/sda5/Programming/prg/src/prg

find libmisc.so?

What happens if you run gdb from the command line?  If you start Emacs from
the desktop, LD_LIBRARY_PATH might not be set.

$MYPATH/prg/src and $MYPATH/misc/src look like src folders.  It's usual to
to put executables and shared objects in bin and lib directories respectively.

--
Nick                                           http://www.inet.net.nz/~nickrob

With LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in ~/.bashrc   , gdb was loading misc library when started from console.
However when started from emacs , as well as from kdevelop, it was not loading misc

I solved it by adding to my .gdbinit
set solib-search-path /mnt/sda5/Programming/misc/src

It works also if I add to my prg's Makefile
g++ ....  -lmisc -Wl,-rpath=/mnt/sda5/Programming/misc/src

I see now it was a gdb issue, not an emacs or kdevelop one.
Thanks again.