Re: Setting the nth element of a list

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Setting the nth element of a list
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2009 15:01:27 +0900

bigfaceworm <bigfaceworm@gmail.com> writes:
> Using widely available, standard libraries (such as 'cl) is what leads
> to more readable code.  Such libraries are the result of many years of
> experience by people who know the language intimately.

You have to be careful with cl.el.  In general if there's an
"elisp-native" way to do something (like `aset'), it's probably a better
idea to use that instead.

While I like common-lisp a lot, cl.el's attempt to fit it into elisp
doesn't always succeed very well (though the authors went to huge
lengths trying).  You can't just assume it's all good -- parts of it are
very useful, but parts are just horrid (e.g., anything related to
multiple-values, or that results in runtime-evaluated keyword
arguments).

-Miles

--
`To alcohol!  The cause of, and solution to,
 all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson