Re: Arrow Keys?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Arrow Keys?
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 00:27:26 +0800

On Jun 7, 2009, at 7:58 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Christian
Herenz<herenz@physik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
Chris Gordon-Smith schrieb:

Hello All

I have recently started using Emacs on a regular basis. I read in the Emacs documentation that it is more efficient to use C-N, C-P etc. rather than arrow keys. Is this really true? I'm persisting with it, but those
arrow keys still seem pretty attractive.

I've been using emacs for less than a year. I feel comfortable with python mode, outline mode, dired, org-mode, slime and auctex. And yet, the stupid f-b-n-p issue is a constant pain. Why, in an editor that's utilized through habit and muscle memory, are the most primary navigation keys based on *mnemonic* devices like forward-back-next- previous? Why is that necessary? I can open files on remote servers, eval defuns, and relocate sub-trees easier than I can move forward three words and then move forward another two characters. I'm aware of solutions like ergo-movement or whatever, but it messes with the whole arrangement of keys and really isn't viable. Only now, after nearly a year of use, am I finally getting to the point where it is more efficient to reach for f-b-n-p than to reach for the arrow keys.

This is a rant. I have no real point. In the end, it's better to use f- b-n-p, but good Lord it takes a long time to get here.

Yeah... I also tend to use them frequently for navigational purposes. But, I think the general idea is, that you dont have to move the hand away from the
area which it is on, when you are writing.

... and you can of course use Emacs with a vi key interface (Viper)
which is (according to some people) more efficient ... once you have
learned it of course ... ;-)