Re: cygwin+imagemagick+emacsW32 causes Windows Vista to report program

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: cygwin+imagemagick+emacsW32 causes Windows Vista to report program crash
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 09:52:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 7, 2:13 am, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Xah Lee<xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > got a very odd problem that's driving me nuts.
>
> > in cygwin prompt, i can call one of imagemagick's command and get
> > result.
>
> > However, while in emacsw32 shell, identical call results Windows Vista
> > poppig up a window telling me some app crashed.
>
> > Anyone got some idea what's wrong?
>
> Different paths. At the cygwin prompt you have imagemagick's
> convert.exe first in path.
>
> At a cmd prompt you by default have windows convert.exe in the path.
> (There is a which utility you can get from gnuwin32.)
>
> So I do not think this is related to EmacsW32. If it is then please
> give me more information.

Hi Len,

Thanks! You solved my problem.

I'm aware of Window's convert.exe ... my path problem is a bit
subtle... but from youp reply, i compared my $PATH in cygwin terminal
and $PATH in emacsW32's cygwin-shell, seeing that they are different,
then i set emacsW32's cygwin-shell's $PATH to the same as the $PATH
shown in cygwin terminal, then the problem is solved.

For the record, here's the value of $PATH in cygwin terminal
(reformatted for readibility):

/usr/local/bin
/usr/bin
/bin
/usr/X11R6/bin
/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32
/cygdrive/c/Windows
/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem
/cygdrive/c/hp/bin/Python
/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/ATI Technologies/ATI.ACE/Core-Static
/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/QuickTime/QTSystem/

Here's the value of $PATH in emacsW32 cygwin-shell:

/usr/bin
/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Emacs/emacs/bin/
/cygdrive/c/Program Files/Microsoft IntelliType Pro/
/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32
/cygdrive/c/Windows
/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem
/cygdrive/c/hp/bin/Python
/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/ATI Technologies/ATI.ACE/Core-Static
/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/QuickTime/QTSystem/

The interesting thing is that imagemagick's convert is in /usr/bin,
so, while in emacsW32's cygwin-shell, i can do “which convert” and it
reports the right program. So, apparantly, subsequent paths much have
fucked things up. This probably also mean that /usr/bin/convert relies
on other pieces to work. (same goes for imagemagick's “identify”
command.)

Thanks again Lennart. I owe you one.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/