Vector and List Performance

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Vector and List Performance
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 10:27:01 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to figure the performance different between lists and
vectors. Here is my mockup:

  (defun bench (&rest forms)
    "Convenience wrapper for benchmark-run-compiled."
    (/ (nth 0 (benchmark-run 1024 forms)) 1024))

(let ((length 1000000))
  (cons
   (bench (aref (make-vector length 0) (/ length 2)))
   (bench (nth (/ length 2) (make-list length 0)))
   ))

Strangely I can't seem to find any significant different in
performance when accessing the middle element in a long vector and
long list. Shouldn't the random access performance be the big
difference between vectors and lists? What have I missed?

Thanks in advance,
Per Nordlöw