Re: utf8 char display in buffer

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: utf8 char display in buffer
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 15:49:12 -0500

B. T. Raven wrote:
ken wrote:
Hey, group,

I already use a few utf8 characters in emacs (and in web pages), but
recently needed to use a couple more.  One is an 'a' with a horizontal
line above it, the other an 'i' with a vertical line above it.  How do I
input these into a buffer?

tia,
ken

Oops, I see you said i with VERTICAL line. What is that character?
Any of these?  í ï î ì If so substitute for i with macron below.

C-x ret C-\ latin-4-postfix

then a,e,i,o,u followed by hyphen generate macroned vowels

If you don't want all these then you could just put something like this in .emacs

(global-set-key "\C-ca" (lambda () (interactive) (insert  ?ā )))
(global-set-key "\C-ci" (lambda () (interactive) (insert  ?ī )))

assuming you have these C-c combos free.

Ed