Re: emulate bash's M-. in *shell*

From: jidanni
Subject: Re: emulate bash's M-. in *shell*
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:59:16 +0800

Ian Eure <ian@digg.com> writes:
>> In bash I can do ESC . which outputs the last line's last item.
>> How can I do that in emacs *shell*?
> Use the !$ event:
> You can also use !^ for the first argument, or !!:N for the Nth last

Thanks but being half a century old, M-. is already embedded in my
brain, so I wish to make emacs act like bash in this area.

Furthermore, I turned off all that ! stuff in bash long ago, as maybe
back in csh it was needed, but now with readline, all it did was add
landmines.

But true, M-. is just the measly last argument, the ! stuff gives one
all of them.

Wait,
  C-c . runs the command comint-insert-previous-argument
  ...This command is like `M-.' in bash.

OK, I'll just rebind that. Thanks. Bye.