Re: emacs opens after long time

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: emacs opens after long time
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:50:18 +0200

tomer <tomer1levin@walla.co.il> writes:

> On Jun 10, 3:34 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>> tomer <tomer1le...@walla.co.il> writes:
>> > i have just installed ubunto and emacs.
>> > it takes about 30 seconds to load emacs.
>> > and also the changing the font takes long time about 10 seconds.
>>
>> > Could you give me some advise what to do ?
>>
>> Either:
>>
>> - Take a deep breath.
>>
>> - Go fetch a cup of coffee.
>>
>> - Think about what you're going to do.
>>
>> - DO NOT load emacs more than once a year.
>>
>> - Buy a faster computer (on this 2.4 GHz QuadCore Intel, it takes less
>>   than two seconds to boot emacs, and less than 10 seconds with my big
>>   ~/.emacs).  But granted, with my ~/.emacs it feels likes it takes
>>   five minutes to boot.  See previous point.
>>
>> --
>> __Pascal Bourguignon__
>
> Thanks for the practical advises
> I think there I miss something.
> on  the same computer , the same .emacs but windows os, emacs loading
> take 2 seconds ( instead of 30)
> other operations takes  less than a second ( instead of 10 second in
> my ubunto - font changing).
> any other idea than breath & coffee (i dont drink coffee but sure i
> need the breath).

It may be a problem of DNS configuration.  Compiled with some options
(by default I think), emacs will make some DNS requests at launch
time.   If the DNS is not very well configured, it will have to wait
for time-outs.

And same for the fonts, if you use a X font server (or rather if a X
font server is configured, and cannot be reached because of the DNS
misconfiguration).

- check /etc/resolv.conf
- check you can reach the DNS servers,
- find if there's a X font server configured,
- check you can find the IP of the X font server (nslookup).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__