Re: emacs opens after long time

From: Jeff Clough
Subject: Re: emacs opens after long time
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:55:42 -0400

tomer wrote:
i have just installed ubunto and emacs.
it takes about 30 seconds to load emacs.
and also the changing the font takes long time about 10 seconds.

Could you give me some advise what to do ?
Thanks
Tomer

This is bizarre and I don't have an answer (maybe the binary you installed has debugging symbols loaded?).

Honestly, I think Bad Things are happening to you.  I just installed ubuntu 8.04 as the guest OS under Virtual Box (host OS Windows XP), and emacs 22.1.1 from the Synaptic package manager last week, and it takes less than three seconds from the time I click the launcher to when I have a fully-responsive emacs window on my screen.  Hell, it only takes about 30 to 45 seconds to fire up Virtual Box, load the vm, load ubuntu and log in.  And this machine is two and a half years old.

I smell something seriously wrong with something.  I wish I could be more helpful, but the only thing I can say is widen your focus because this doesn't sound like an emacs problem to me.

Jeff

--

Author of the Genesys System
A "free" universal role-playing game.