Re: Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount

From: Kim Christensen
Subject: Re: Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 03:31:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 12, 11:41 am, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Kim Christensen <kim.christen...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Kim!
>
> > I am actually mounting the Samba share via the cifs network protocol,
> > which allows me to mount it as a network file system (using "cifs" as
> > the vfstype argument to the "mount" application).
>
> Ah, then I didn't understand you correctly.  If you mounted a SMB share,
> then to emacs those should be local files.  Please try the following:
>
>   1. Open a file on that share and edit it
>   2. M-x toggle-debug-on-error
>   3. Save if with `C-x C-s'
>   4. Poste the contents of the *Backtrace* buffer here
>
> > Are you using tramp for accessing the files? I could try that
> > tomorrow, without mounting it at all -- just accessing it directly.
>
> You can try, but working with files on a mounted smb share should work
> anyway...
>
> Bye,
> Tassilo

Hi again,

I have enabled the debugger and receive the following trace when
trying to save ('C-x C-s'):

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Opening output file" "no
such file or directory" "/mnt/effie/foo.bar/www/mulang/
basket_options.php")
  write-region(1 4688 "/mnt/effie/foo.bar/www/mulang/
basket_options.php" nil t "/mnt/effie/foo.bar/www/mulang/
basket_options.php")
  basic-save-buffer-2()
  basic-save-buffer-1()
  basic-save-buffer()
  save-buffer(1)
  call-interactively(save-buffer)

That doesn't give me much information to proceed with though...

What is the difference between saving a file with 'C-x C-s' and 'C-x C-
w', filesystem-wise? Maybe this error is related to the actual
procedure done on the filesystem; I recall gedit having some trouble
when saving files that were accessed through SMB/CIFS because of the
way it saved the file with a temporary name at first - then renaming
it to the original file. I am not sure how Emacs do this, but it could
be related.

Regards,
Kim