Re: utf8 char display in buffer

From: Lewis Perin
Subject: Re: utf8 char display in buffer
Date: 12 Jun 2009 13:45:51 -0400

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

> Lewis Perin wrote:
> > ken <gebser@mousecar.com> writes:
> >
> >> [...]
> >> Lewis,
> >>
> >> Thanks for posting.  It's lonely out there when you're the only one with
> >> a particular problem.
> > The few, the proud...
> >
> >> To make sure we're suffering the same cyber-indignity, here's the
> >> scenario as I see it (from an older version of emacs running on
> >> Linux):
> >>
> >> 0) Some others and myself want to include some non-English characters in
> >> a file being edited in emacs. Problems arise, however:
> >>
> >> 1) In a buffer which is already utf-8 encoded, I set the appropriate
> >> input method, type in the desired characters. They display just peachy
> >> and there is happiness in EmacsLand.
> >>
> >> 2) I save the buffer to a file, then close the buffer.
> >>
> >> 3) I visit the same file (i.e., load it again into emacs). Because it
> >> has &lt;!-- -*- coding: utf-8; -*- --&gt; as the first line, it opens
> >> utf-8 encoded. This is confirmed by the presence of a 'u' as the second
> >> character in the status bar.
> > I haven't been inserting that special first line.
> >
> >> 4) The text in the buffer displays fine, except that in place of each of
> >> those non-English characters is a little empty box. With the cursor on
> >> one of those boxes, an 'a' with a horizontal bar above it, doing "C-x
> >> =", emacs returns "Char: ā (01210041, 331809, 0x51021, file ...)".
> >> (While, in emacs the character after "Char:" is a little box, if I load
> >> this same file into Firefox, that same character appears as it should,
> >> as an 'a' with a horizontal bar above it. How it appears in your email
> >> client will depend upon your email client.)
> > My situation differs in that most of the non-ASCII characters
> > (Chinese
> > in my case) come through just fine.  But the ones that don't have
> > those irritating boxes in place of the correct glyphs.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if the gaps and overlaps in the CJK ranges of
> glyphs weren't so complicated that many characters from the following
> encodings may not be included in utf-8,

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "may not be included in utf-8":
do you mean utf-8 the standard, or do you mean Emacs's implementation
of it?  The characters I'm talking about are definitely in Unicode.

> especially if they are not precomposed.

This I don't really understand, either, I'm afraid.  Might this
explain why I can see the glyph for ni3 when I'm composing Chinese in
Emacs using the chinese-tonepy-punct input method but can't see it
when the saved file is read by Emacs?

> Try some of these encodings to see if some of the empty boxes are
> resolved into characters:
> [...]
>             cn-gb-2312

I created a little file with my bête noire character using that
encoding and saved it.  Reverting the file with that encoding, I did
see all the characters.

> Also it might help to install a fontset rather than depending on a
> single font to represent all these characters. Unfortunately I can't
> help with that. I am on w32 and I don't even know whether fontsets can
> be used in Emacs on that build.

Windows R Us, too.

/Lew
---