Re: utf8 char display in buffer

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: utf8 char display in buffer
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:59:14 +0200

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Xah Lee<xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:
> the list you gave above is from emacs? emacs's list always seems
> strange to me... haven't really looked into it. maybe emacs's list is
> really encompassing of all encoding that've existed, but it also could
> be just screwed up like many open source things.

I do not know these things, but from the discussions on Emacs devel it
looks like those coding it in Emacs knows it very well.

> For example, it
> invents its own names by mixing up char set encoding with concepts of
> EOL convention.

It is a technical consideration. Hopefully it does not confuse anyone.

> btw, who actually coded the low down levels of char encoding in emacs?
> e.g. especially unicode, since it came after richard stallman still
> doing the bulk of emacs. That person should be admirable. lol.

Please look in the change log files.  (I think you need to check out
the sources to see those. Or look in the web interface for dito of
course.)