Re: problem with ssh/sftp/unison in emacs shell on Windows

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: problem with ssh/sftp/unison in emacs shell on Windows
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:20:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 15, 3:15 pm, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> looks like emacsW32 have problems running sftp or unison.
>
> the problem with both is this error message:
>
>  bash: [4972: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> is there some terminal setting or something in emacs to get this to
> work?
>
> unisone has a -dumbtty option, however, with that on, still same
> error. So, apparently, it seems the problem is with emacsW32 or emacs
> on Windows somewhere. On the Mac, I'm able run unison, rsync, sftp no
> problem inside emacs's shell command, and i don't recall having to
> setup setup anything particular...
>
> possibly i need to tweak some termcap in cygwin??
>
> Thanks.
>
> -------------------------
> Detail:
>
> Here's the cygwin log:
>
> Cygwin ~/web > unison -servercmd /usr/bin/unison c:/Users/xah/web
> ssh://...@169.254.55.4//Users/xah/web
> Contacting server...
> bash: [6056: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> [1]+  Stopped                 unison -servercmd /usr/bin/unison c:/
> Users/xah/web ssh://...@169.254.55.4//Users/xah/web
> Cygwin ~/web >
>
> Cygwin ~/web/mswin/i > sftp x...@www.example.com
> Connecting towww.example.com...
> bash: [4972: 1] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> [1]+  Stopped                 sftp x...@www.example.com
> Cygwin ~/web/mswin/i >
>
> My emacs version:
>
> GNU Emacs 23.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001) of 2009-05-28 on
> LENNART-69DE564 (patched)

PS i can run unison and sftp fine in cygwin. Together with the fact
that emacs shell running unison or sftp works fine on OS X, i presume
this must be a emacsW32 or emacs on Windows issue. On the mac, i'm
running a version of Carbon Emacs that is based on emacs 22.x, so
possibly the problem could be emacs 23 itself...

thanks for any tips.

 Xah