Re: Alternate location for .emacs?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Alternate location for .emacs?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:52:16 +0200

Am 16.06.2009 um 19:13 schrieb Ross A. Laird:

I would like to store my .emacs in a location other than ~/.
Is this possible?

It's not that easy ... (finding the right decision)

You could patch your private version.
You could set the new place in the system init file.
You could just use ~/.emacs.d or ~/_emacs.d in non-UNIX systems.
You could create a dummy user account and use that user's init file.
You could set user-emacs-directory on the command line (or a script/ alias).

Are there more possible ways? Just one for more than a hand full, half a dozen!

--
Greetings

  Pete

Only useless documentation transcends the first two laws.
                                – Arnold's Third Law of Documentation