Re: w3m browser in Emacs

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: w3m browser in Emacs
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:00:36 +0200

Hi,

Xah Lee <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 18, 7:15 pm, Will Willis <will.wil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What does it take to get w3m working? Out of the box, w3m doesn't come
>> on my Emacs builds on Mac or Windows.
>
> you have to install it.

> on OS X, you can intall it thru Fink or MacPorts. On windows, you can
> install it thru Cygwin.
>
> Once you installed it, you have to install the elisp package that
> integrate it with emacs. Look at emacswiki about where to get it.

Note that on emacs version >= 23 you have to use the CVS version of
emacs-w3m.

> I don't particularly recommend it. The advantage is too trivial, and
> the cost to install and maintain, learn, is a bit high. When using it
> in emacs, it is actually some 2 or more times slower, than actually
> using a full featured browser with graphics and css and javascript
> all.

Indeed, w3m in emacs is very fast. Faster than any graphic browser.
You can interact with emacs easily. (many emacs extensions use it).
When you need more features (javascript etc...) you can switch
immediately to your graphic browser with "M".

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France