Re: window-size-fixed behaviour on emacs22-gtk

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: window-size-fixed behaviour on emacs22-gtk
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:07:04 +0200

> I cannot find out whether it is a bug in emacs, or I misuse window-
> fixed-size feature.

Both problems were probably caused by the introduction of the function
`adjust-window-trailing-edge'.  The fact that you can drag the upper
mode-line is a clear bug because it allows to resize a fixed-size
window.  Please make a bug report to make sure that this issue gets
fixed for Emacs 23.2 (it might take some time, so don't hold your
breath).  Alas, the only possible fix I can think of currently is that
you won't be allowed to drag that mode-line either.

The fact that you cannot move an entire window up or down is very
regrettable but I'm afraid that fixing that might be very difficult.
Note that with Emacs 21 you were able to have three resizable windows
above each other and enlarge the lowest one (dragging the mode-line
above it) by shrinking the uppermost one.  This is unfortunately no
longer possible with Emacs 22 (you can only resize the window in the
middle) and has the same cause as the problem you describe.

I'm still not sure what problem `adjust-window-trailing-edge' was trying
to resolve but suppose that writing that function threw out the child
with the bathwater.  Maybe you can trigger a discussion about this after
making the bug report so please make sure to file one.

Thanks in advance, martin.