Re: emacs 23 & Debian

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: emacs 23 & Debian
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 18:58:01 +0200

Ben Badgley <mortecanine@peoplepc.com> writes:

> 1. Where and how may a person upgrade to version 23 for Debian?
>
> I'm a simple 'go grab a .deb and install it' sort at this point,
> although am getting better with using the console. So, please avoid
> saying cvs or git, subversion. Have a friend coming over for the weekend
> who may better explain that voodoo to me
>
> 2. Why did the Debian Emacs release come over as a bit hindered?
>
> Noticed this on the Emacs Wiki threads about Emacs on Debian. It
> couldn't sort out what was where, or its version. There was some code to
> attempt correcting it posted as well.
>
> 3. And will future Debian releases of Emacs be so?
>
> Hope not on this end.

I have been through this.

The bottom line for me was to dump debian emacs and follow the simple
enough instructions available from Google to get from cvs and
compile. It really is not that difficult. I know you said you didn't
want to hear but thats what i said at first. and the build has become a
LOT easier than a while ago.

Why did I dump debian emacs? Because they do all sorts of smart stuff
with system files that simply confused me and anyone I asked for help
from. The general consensus was "you're on your own" when I mentioned
debian in #emacs irc channel!

The only issue then is getting your "generally used" files from the
emacs wiki or elsewhere that does not ship with emacs. It doesn't take
long. I store it all in a ~/.emacs.d/lisp directory and add that to my
loadpath as is well documented elsewhere.

So, uninstall all emacs stuff!

Then:

we go to the command line and install the stuff we need to build emacs:

,----
| sudo apt-get install build-essentials
`----

then go here and read :

http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=emacs

Knowing what we want to do, we go to the command line change to a
directory where you want to build emacs and do:

,----
| cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/sources/emacs co emacs
`----

Then cd into out new emacs directory and:

,----
| ./configure
| make
| sudo make install
`----

The ./configure stage MIGHT give errors - goto Google or back here for
specific help.

Try it!

regards

Richard.