Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions

From: Nurullah Akkaya
Subject: Re: Emacs for Mac OS X - questions
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 00:32:21 +0300

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 10:23 PM, queries0 <queries0@gmail.com> wrote:
On Jun 25, 2:27 pm, Marc Tfardy <b...@cyk.cyk> wrote:
> I plan to switch from windows to intel mac and Aquamacs and I don't want
> use windows under mac - neither in virtual machine nor as dual boot.

I have been using emacs on OS X (10.4 ppc) for a few years, and emacs
is one of my main applications also. Aquamacs is an excellent
application, and I believe the answer is "yes, you can do things as
you would like" to all your questions.

I switched from using Aquamacs to using carbon emacs about six months
ago. Carbon emacs does feel more like using emacs on other unix
computers, and customization or adding emacs packages is done in a
more "conventional" way. This is just my opinion.

Also, if you open a terminal or Xterm, OS X has GNU Emacs "built in",
i.e. you don't need Aquamacs or Carbon Emacs, emacs is part of OS X

If you are comfortable with Emacs, don't use aquaemacs shortcuts will drive you nuts.

You can build Emacs on mac os x very easily and that will produce a native double click able
application that will behave just like normal emacs on any other OS's.

If you build it your self all the features work as expected from gnus to reading pdf's.

--
Nurullah Akkaya
http://nakkaya.com