Re: gnus: how to improve searching for articles

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: gnus: how to improve searching for articles
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:15:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Giorgos,

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> One way is to use '& RET regexp RET #' in the summary buffer.  If you
> don't type a header in the prompt of '&' it searches the entire
> article,
> including both headers and body.  The '#' command marks the matching
> articles with the '#' mark, and then you can:
>
>   1) Limit the summary buffer to the matching articles by typing `/
>   n', or
>
>   2) Run a command that understand `process-mark', i.e. commands to
>   copy
>      the articles to other groups, mass-followup commands, and so on.

Actually I just realize that search including the body is really
expensive since gnus needs to download all article's bodies in order
perform the search.

I don't know nntp protocol but that would be great if it had a search
command.

BTW I tried to use the google search thing ('G w' in the group buffer)
but unfortunately it always failed:

             Couldn't request group: No matching articles

That's sad since it's one of the most attracting feature that google
offers when using its interface. Does it work for you ?

> In Emacs 23.X there is also a plugin for searching local group folders
> with mairix(1).

Yes it's usesfull but only for _local_ search.

Thanks
--
Francis