Re: Quick insert of characters into a column?

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: Re: Quick insert of characters into a column?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:57:49 -0400

Search the docs for 'rectangle'

Specifically

C-x r t runs the command string-rectangle
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `rect'.
(string-rectangle START END STRING)

Replace rectangle contents with STRING on each line.
The length of STRING need not be the same as the rectangle width.

Chad wrote:
Hi,

I'm using emacs to edit a latex file to create a table with many rows,
say 20.  I need to insert & to separate the columns, so I need a
column of 20 ampersands.

What is the quickest way to do this?  I'd like to highlight a region
(column) and then tell emacs to insert the ampersand into that region,
but I can't figure out how to do this.

Thanks for your help!

Chad