Re: Problems starting emacs with correct environmental settings

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Problems starting emacs with correct environmental settings
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 00:45:51 +0200

Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> writes:

> Hi emacs users,
>
> On my ubuntu system I have in the top bar the icon (dragged from the
> menu entry in Accessories) to launch emacs. By doing so, I have no
> access to my PATH variable, eg. a compile (make -k) won't run.
>
> When I launch emacs from a shell, than there is no problem and make or
> other scripts are available. What should I do to have the icon launch
> emacs with my PATH set.

You could launch a script instead of emacs.

But you may also set the environment variables from emacs:

(require 'cl)

(defun join (los sep)
  (with-output-to-string
     (princ (first los))
     (dolist (s (rest los))
        (princ sep) (princ s))))

(setf (getenv "PATH") (join (list* "/your/path" "/and/some/more" (getenv

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__