Re: automatic setting of mode

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: automatic setting of mode
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 23:06:11 +0200

Am 03.07.2009 um 16:56 schrieb ?manu*:

Now I wonder If there is a similar command to get the following:

1. automatically issuing the command
M-x tex-pdf
which tells emacs to compile a LaTeX file with pdflatex.

I don't know what the simple built-in TeX-mode accepts, for AUCTeX you can put among its block of (file) local variables:

        %%% TeX-PDF-mode: t

2. automatically issuing the command
M-x set-buffer-file-coding-system utf-8
telling emacs that the file is encoded in utf8

LaTeX's Unicode or UTF-8 encoding support is very limited (maybe 1 % of the BMP) (and complicated to use). For a TeX file you would need to use % as comment character. In the file's header it would be:

        coding: utf-8;

and in the file's footer (example):

        %%% coding: utf-8-unix

--
Greetings

  Pete

Make it simple, as simple as possible but no simpler.
                                – Albert Einstein