how to make the "file has auto save data..." message unskippable?

From: Nobuko Three
Subject: how to make the "file has auto save data..." message unskippable?
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 10:29:13 -0700 (PDT)

I open a file foo.txt and then my emacs displays the message:

foo.txt has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file

in the echo area, but the message rarely catches my attention because I
quickly start editing the file and that makes the message disappear before I
notice it.

Normally after emacs is crashed, you know you need to use M-x
recover-session, but it could happen that you go to lunch after crash, you
come back, you start emacs again, you forget to do recover-session and open
foo.bar and then also miss the "foo.txt has auto save data..." message.

How do you deal with this problem?

One idea is to make emacs change its background color whenever it echoes
such message. Even if you miss the message, you will always notice the
changed background color which reminds you to check the *Message* buffer.

Is there a hook I can use for this idea?