Re: style and mode on Window XP

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: style and mode on Window XP
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 01:45:04 +0000 (UTC)

On windows, by ALL MEANS, use "NTEMACS", NOT "emacs"-compiled-etc-for-windows.

There's an emacs that you can get via cygwin -- at least for me, it
really sucks!  Small window, impossible to go full-screen, plus lots
of problems.

But NTEMACS (the NT means the ancient "windows NT", the first windows os
that you could get things like emacs to work on) -- apparently it's a
*separate* emacs, specially hacked (not just compiled) for windows.

After using the cygwin-emacs for a while (very, very unfriendly, especially
the ungrowable window it worked in), I tried NTemacs -- WOW! Couldn't tell
the difference emacs there and on a REAL computer-and-os!

What a wonderful, wonderful discovery!

David